VIDEO: Making Chinese Egg Rolls

Written by . Filed under Videos. Tagged , . Bookmark the Permalink. Post a Comment. Leave a Trackback URL.

Today is my mother’s birthday, so this post is for her.  Among her many cooking specialties are egg rolls, which she makes every Christmas and on other special occasions.

In college, she would sometimes send me back to school with a few egg rolls after a visit home.  I’m not proud to admit, I never shared a single one with my roommate or friends. Couldn’t do it. I was hungry all the time in college (not much has changed) and those things were like gold.  Whatever magnanimous spirit I may have possessed did not extend to mom’s egg rolls.

I was up in Boston last weekend visiting the family, and my mom and I shot this video of her making her awesome egg rolls.  You’ll see that they’re quite different from the heavy, cabbage-filler egg rolls often served at Chinese restaurants with goopy duck sauce. My mom has her own preference of filling, but you can put whatever you like inside.  They’re best eaten with a vinegar-soy dipping sauce or with hot sauce.

Hope you like the video!  Let me know what you think.

And happy birthday, Mom!

11 Comments

1. pmilly
    Posted August 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Mmmmm! Great video and awesome-looking egg rolls. When can I come for dinner!?

2. Anne
    Posted August 5, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday to Doug’s mom!

3. Linda
    Posted August 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t share these egg rolls either! They look delicious and love the crisp! Terrific job on the video — easy to follow. A very Happy Birthday to Doug’s mom.

4. Katherine Curry
    Posted August 5, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Love the sounds. Sizzle crunch!

5. Cass
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

This video is AMAZING. Really, it’s so beautifully done. The music, visuals and sounds completely capture the essence of cooking. I’m coming over to your mom’s house!

6. Posted May 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

This is a really great video! Thanks so much for sharing your mom and her recipe with everyone!

7. Posted October 5, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

These egg rolls look great! The video also helps to make the recipe less intimidating, and, as the other commenters have pointed, very well made–thanks for sharing!

8. Tasha
    Posted February 14, 2012 at 12:38 am | Permalink

HOw much of each ingredient is used in this recipe???

9. Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

The video was great. The food looks very good and not so hard to make. You did a great job putting it together, I love it thanks for sharing.

10. Simone
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I Have To Have This Recipe! This video Really Does This Recipe Justice, All Te Other Videos I’ve Seen Looks Nothing As Good As These. Can You Post The Recipe Pleaseee?! I’m In Love.

11. belinda
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

please post your moms egg roll recipeeee!!!It looks so so yummy!!!! :)